Friday, October 24, 2014

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies - The 1st Attempt

The Question - do you bake gluten free?  Oh how I've put this task off.  Why?   I really can't answer that question but I finally did it.  Curiosity finally made me try this and maybe having a new kitchen helped to motivate me just a bit!  I found a recipe that was in one of the magazines from the local health food store and decided to start with chocolate chip cookies.  I figured if I was going to get my family to try them, the 3 words - Chocolate - Chip - Cookie might convince them to give the recipe a chance.  
I was pleasantly surprised - they were GOOD!  Different in texture, they were soft but flavorful and I would make them again.  My husband gave in and tried one only because I told him I would bake the real chocolate chip cookie recipe if he ate one.  No, he did not like them.  He is a one recipe only kind of guy and will never change!  Toll House is his fav.   But really, try this recipe.  I would definitely make it again but then I would be the only one eating all the cookies!

1/4 cup of butter. ( I used coconut oil)
3/4 cup of sorghum flour
1 egg plus 1 egg white
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp of xanthate gum
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup of chocolate chips ( I used organic dairy free, soy free)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix flour and butter until well combined.  Add remaining ingredients except for the chips
Beat well until batter is thick
Stir in the chips

drop by rounded tsp onto lightly greased baking sheet
Press tops to flatten just a bit
Bake 9-10 min till edges are lightly browned and cookies are set
Cool on wire racks

I always have to substitute. I have this thing with coconut oil and feel maybe it's just a bit healthier fat.   But try the regular recipe first.
I promise you will like it





No comments:

Post a Comment