Sunday, August 14, 2011

In Memory ...



This post will have absolutely nothing to do with cupcakes or recipes. It is not about political views. It's about a life. A life of a 23 year that ended way too soon. I 1st met Nick as a 6th grader & as his counselor followed him through 8th grade. He was one of those kids that years later stands out in you mind. Not a mean bone in his body, just a typical likeable, middle school kid who could sometimes drive his teachers crazy. Moving on to the high school, he became an athlete and he came back to the middle school around junior year to work at the school & to see his coach each week. I can still see him talking to his coach each day in the hallway when they had duty. Still a great kid but so much more grown up. Move on to post HS graduation and all of a sudden he was substituting. He would always come in and say hi, wave... the same old Nick. I retired from school & didn't know he had enlisted. On Saturday I picked up the paper and read about this young man who I have known since he was 11. He was killed in Afghanistan on Wednesday, August 10, 2011. Coming from a helping profession, where I was always trying to "fix" things is frustrating as there is no fixing this. But I feel I need to do something so if you're reading this, say a prayer or think a thought for this young man who gave his life for his country. Thank you Nick.




11 comments:

  1. How sad. That makes me feel I know Nick too.
    I pray God will give his family and friends comfort and peace.

    Thank you for telling us about Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for his family.

    On a side note, I'm passing along the Versatile Blogger Award to you. Check it out here: http://bahousewifery.blogspot.com/search/label/Blog%20award

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand how you feel and I hope our entire country realizes how endebted we are to our heroes. I will pray for those, including you who are grieving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your memories of Nick. I too have family and friends in the military. The wars are never far from my thoughts. We must never forget what these brave soldiers and their families are giving up for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course he and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers. It's always so sad when a life is cut way too short. Sounds like he was a generous and loving person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to say thank you for sharing that with us. Many of us forget about the ones whom are away from their families in another country defending our right to be free. Some of them don't come home and it is a heart breaking thing when this occurs. My husband is at a funeral for one of these brave young men today whom was 29. The ones that ache the most are the families whom are left behind. What a blessing this young man was thank you for sharing. God bless you and the ones he left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts are with his family. Thank you for reminding all of us of the sacrificing others selflessly make for us each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each loss of a soldier makes me tear up, whether I knew them or not. The memory of him will never leave you. He's in better hands now!

    The FBF hop is up this week, hope you can link up again!
    ~Carolyn
    Flash Back Friday

    ReplyDelete
  9. touching...we blog about life, not life is the blog. Prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tearing up too (as always), with a heavy feeling within my heart.

    ~Lily

    P.S. Hurt my nose when I lept at the screen after seeing that cupcake at the top ^^^ up there. x0

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely love the blog. Now following Via FAcebook

    Simplysami.com/Blog

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Simply-Samis-Thoughts/162312173801937

    ReplyDelete