Thursday, May 28, 2015

Just Cornbread

I just read that Cornbread has 330 different names. Really? Johnny Cake, QuickBread, Hoecake, Corn Pone.....Different names, different variations but around forever.   Why I'm obsessed with finding the perfect cornbread recipe?  No idea but back to the days when my kids wanted Jiffy out of the box - add egg and milk, I guess I've always liked it.  So now it's a treat when we do have it and it's not out of the box!  As I'm never satisfied with trying just one recipe I have now decided I must finally pick one.  A lot of recipes call for buttermilk. I wanted one that would have all the ingredients readily available.  Yes I know how to make my own buttermilk but I wanted simple & good.
So my criteria was easy, not too sweet and available ingredients.  After a few tries, I found it.  So here goes

Preheat oven to 400
Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper

Melt 1/4 cup of butter and whisk together with 1cup of milk and 1 egg
I'm changing one ingredient - no butter!  I'm substituting with coconut oil. Just a tiny bit less than 1/4 cup.  I always have to try at least one change!


Mix 1 1/4 cup of cornmeal, 1 cup of flour 3/4 cup of sugar, ( I actually added a bit less sugar), (if you noticed,  using organic sugar which is not as fine as regular sugar),  1/2 tsp  of salt & 1 tbs of baking powder together


Add the liquid ingredients into the dry mixture and blend well.  Do not overmix.

Spread into 8x8 " pan (love this pan where the bottom comes out)


Bake at 400 for about 20-25 minutes and top is lightly browned. Test for doneness


Serve warm with a topping of your choice

Enjoy!

Yes I've tried it with butter and coconut oil and like them both!  

2 comments:

  1. This looks so goood. I may just try this recipe. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria
      It also stayed very fresh for days if covered

      Delete