Tuesday, February 1, 2011

It's a Special Place

About one month ago, I filled out a form to volunteer at a wonderful place that is a respit for women with cancer. I became aware of this place after participating in a "Flash Mob" Dance at a racetrack and then at a mall. If you've never heard of a flash mob, you tube has tons of examples. I am a helper, always was, always will be so I thought this might be something I could do. My background is counseling and felt this might be an asset. Volunteering here means spending time with the guest or guests that are staying there and helping with lunch, dinner, tea and most importantly being there to listen. I met a wonderful woman who is undergoing treatment, has a family and is trying to hold it all together. & she is. But this place just gives these women a break. There are all kinds of things available and all through volunteers. There is no charge and everything comes through donations for this place to survive. A local restaurant brought lunch, a minister came to visit, someone provided reikei, another woman was bringing dinner, just so amazing and wonderful to see that there are so many people that care.
So why am I writing about this instead of cupcakes or a recipe etc?

Just because.
I feel I made a new friend today, she will be in my thoughts.

So if you ever have extra time, do this, volunteer.

But... I am also going to start bringing some cupcakes over. I will make sure they are special! Angel Food? sounds good. so here goes:
Angel Food Cupcakes


•cup cake flour (spooned and leveled)
•1/4 teaspoon salt
•12 large egg whites, room temperature
•1 teaspoon cream of tartar
•1 1/4 cups sugar
•2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place flour and salt in a sieve set over a bowl; sift into bowl, and set aside. With a mixer, beat egg whites on mediumhigh until foamy, about 1 minute. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Continue to beat, gradually adding sugar; beat until stiff peaks form (see below), about 2 minutes. Add vanilla; beat to combine


Gently transfer eggwhite mixture to a large, wide bowl. In four batches, using the sieve again, sift flour mixture over egg-white mixture. While turning the bowl, use a rubber spatula to fold in the mixture by cutting down the center and coming up the sides

Carefully spoon mixture into a prepared muffin pan.

Fill them 2/3 full. Bake until done.

The trick is to never grease your angel food pans.
The batter needs to be able to cling to the sides or it will fall flat.

I like to put a surprise in each cupcake and a slice of KIWI is the best! TTop with a lime glaze drizzled over each little cake!

Nellie and Bills Key West Lime Juice is the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment