Saturday, February 12, 2011

Yes I Made Whoopie Pies, Not Cupcakes!

Hey once in awhile a girl needs a change.  I just had to make these. No they won't replace cupcakes but what  fun!  1st I had to find a recipe I liked.  There are lots of them but so many had shortening in the recipe & I don't like that at all.  I finally decided on one that had buttermilk and butter.  The cake is delicious!  Not sure if I made them too big but they look good.  I'll take them to the store tomorrow and then I'll know!  As it's a Valentine Weekend, I filled them with pink cream.  So here's the picture I promised the other day and also the recipe.  Try them!!!

For cakes

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder - I have to be honest, I used Hershey's Cocoa
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup well-shaken buttermilk - Always makes the cake so moist!!
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar - I love this choice of brown sugar!
1 large egg


Preheat oven to 350°F.

Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl until combined. Stir together buttermilk and vanilla in a small bowl.


Beat together butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes in a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a handheld, then add egg, beating until combined well. Reduce speed to low and alternately mix in flour mixture and buttermilk in batches, beginning and ending with flour, scraping down side of bowl occasionally, and mixing until smooth.

Spoon 1/4-cup mounds of batter about 2 inches apart onto 2 buttered large baking sheets. Bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until tops are puffed and cakes spring back when touched, 11 to 13 minutes. Transfer with a metal spatula to a rack to cool completely.

I used my fav buttercream icing tinted pink.

Let me know if you like this recipe!!!!
Have a Happy Valentine's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment