Thursday, June 23, 2011
A Tiny Vanilla Cake
I am always on the quest for the perfect vanilla cake or cupcake & yes I have written about finding the best but there is always that tiny doubt in my mind that there is something just a little bit better out there. I decided to try this out on my mother in law! That does not sound good.
I love her so I wouldn't have tried it if I didn't think it would be good! Also it was for her 89th birthday so it had to be very good. I like this recipe. I knew I wanted something that used buttermilk and cake flour and this did. I didn't even look at the # of eggs needed. Eight! 3 yolks and 5 whole eggs. ahh! So for a birthday cake for family - fine but for my business, I'm not so sure. A little pricey by the time I added in all the ingredients.
Here's the recipe - try it. It's very light and not too sweet. But I know I'll be back with another vanilla cake/cupcake recipe soon.
Preheat oven to 350.
1. 3 c cake flour (make your own cake flour by measuring out 3 cups of flour and take 2 tbs of flour out for each cup) 6 tbs total. Now add 2 tbs of cornstarch for each cup of flour (6tbs total) Sift together
2. 1 1/2 cups of flour
3. 3/4 tsp baking soda
4. 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
5. 1 /2 tsp salt
(Sift all dry ingredients together & set aside)
6. Cream 2 sticks plus 2 tbs of unsalted butter with 2 1/4 cups of sugar.
Beat till light and fluffy.
7. Add 5 whole eggs (room temp) one at a time and then add 3 egg yolks.
8. Divide the flour into 3 parts and add to butter mixture along with 2 cups of buttermilk. (I always have the powdered buttermilk on hand in case of emergency! Just make sure you refrigerate after opening)
9. Last add 2 tsp of vanilla
10. Line 2 9" pans with parchment. I used a 6" pan for my mini cake.
Bake at 350 20-25 min or until cake tester comes out clean.
As I was making just a small cake, I used the rest of the batter for a batch of mini cupcakes for the store.
Simple is best for me when it comes to baking & decorating so a sliced fresh strawberry on top with fresh strawberries in between layers was just perfect! Use your favorite frosting.
I found these little baking cups in the local health food store and love them. No more expensive. 90 minis for $1.59. Unbleached and chlorine free in a package made from recycled paper - a plus for the environment.
Now I'm off to start baking for two weddings this weekend. I'll post pix when I'm done. Would love to hear from you and follow my blog. Thanks
dreamhost promotional code