Friday, December 9, 2011
GingerBread Boys & Cupcakes
I love gingerbread! It's probably one of my favorites. Not too sweet but just enough. This order was for a baby shower with the theme of Ginger Bread Boys! I decided to try a new recipe as I haven't done anything new in awhile. I am going to give you one of 2 recipes. The new one produced a softer gingerbread cookie and not as spicy. Next time I will add a bit more spices. My recipe that I have used every year will give you a harder cookie which I prefer. I'll post this next week. Either way - they're both delicious and a perfect way to dress up your holiday cupcakes!
GingerBread Men (mini) 48 cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup shortening, melted and cooled slightly
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Sift together the flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the shortening, molasses, brown sugar, water, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, until they are completely absorbed. Divide dough into 3 pieces, pat down to 1 1/2 inch thickness, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. When the cookies are done, they will look dry, but still be soft to the touch. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on wire racks.
5. Cool & pipe frosting of your choice
I used a mix of powdered sugar and milk to get the consistance I wanted. Start with 2 cups of powdered sugar and add a tbs. of milk at a time.
This little gingerbread cookie cutter is just about 2" tall. I love it as it was given to me by my Aunt Sweetie who loves to bake. Perfect name for my favorite aunt!
If you have a chance, stop my my Etsy Shop and take a peek at some of my Christmas/Holiday items! http://welldressedcupcakes.etsy.com
Convo me and get 10% your order, just mention this blog!