Friday, April 13, 2012

Key Lime Pie Throw Down

If you visit Key West & you have a sweet tooth, you had better like the taste of lime! So many choices and all delicious. We stopped in every Key Lime store along & off of Duval Street and sampled lots of treats. Our first stop was the Key West Key Lime Pie Company at 511 Greene St.

Lots of samples ranging from Key Lime cookies (delicious), Key Lime Jelly Beans(really delicious) and Key Lime Taffy (loved it!)& even Key Lime Milk Shakes(not sure about that one) We were also told that this store was part of the Bobby Flay Key Lime Pie Throw Down & they won! They even had a brand of Key West Lime Juice that I had not heard of.

I bought a bottle to compare with the brand I use which is Nellie and Joes Key West Lime Juice. I also discovered that the restaurant Papa Joes (the restaurant from where my Key Lime Recipe came from) has been torn down. Driving to Key West, we looked for it and I found out online that it was gone. Judging from the comments online, people were not happy to see it go. I'm happy I have the recipe! Locally Nellie and Joes is the only Key West Lime Juice I can buy but I will definitely do a comparision of the two.

By far the most popular dessert in our group was the Key Lime Pie on a stick. If you like dark chocolate and Key Lime Pie that is more like an ice cream dessert, this would be for you. I did not taste it as I'm not a chocolate lover but two family members had this dessert twice and absolutely loved it.

One dessert I did try was a Key Lime Pie with Meringue topping. It was delicious and can be found at the Brazilian Steak House. Presentation and taste was absolutely the best! Unfortunately I have no picture as I had a problem with my camera so you'll have to take my word for it. I loved the idea of a Meringue topping.

I'm going to list Bobby Flay's recipe which I will try once summer comes and then repeat my recipe, which people still order from me even in the middle of winter. I feel that my Key Lime as compared to the Key Lime desserts I tasted was a bit more tart than sweet which I prefer. The graham cracker crust really gives it sweetness and if you're a chocolate lover, then use a dark chcoclate cookie crumb. I'll have to try Bobby Flay's pie but for now I'm sticking with my recipe!! Let me know if you try both recipes and which you prefer. As you'll see, there are many similarities, but for the qucikness/easy factor, I will vote for my recipe. It will be a Well Dressed Cupcakes Throw Down!

Bobby Flay's Pina Colada Key Lime Pie
Ingredients
Crust:
8 ounces graham crumbs
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup brown sugar

Filling:
16 ounces heavy whipping cream, very cold
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup fresh diced pineapple (about the size of a pea), juice drained
1/4 cup shredded coconut, toasted
4 ounces Key lime juice (not Persian lime or lemon)
1/4 cup coconut chips, toasted, for garnish

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the crust: Combine the graham crumbs, butter, honey, and brown sugar in a bowl. Do not over mix as it will make the crust tough.

Evenly spread the mixture on the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-inch pie tin or glass pie dish. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, place on a cooling rack, and let rest.

For the filling: Combine the cold whipping cream, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla and whip, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, until peaks form.

Combine the sweetened condensed milk, diced pineapple, shredded coconut, and 4 ounces of the whipped cream mixture in a 6-quart mixing bowl and whisk well. (Place the balance of the whipped cream mixture in the fridge to keep it stiff.) Once well incorporated, slowly add the Key lime juice in intervals, do not add all at once. The juice will have a chemical reaction with the cream, causing it to thicken. Do not over mix as it will break down the mixture, causing it to become runny. The mixture will begin to thicken (you want it thick).

Once the crust has cooled, spoon the pie filling into the center of the crust and spread evenly towards the edges with a pastry knife or the spoon. Place into the fridge for 2 hours to completely set up.

Fill a pastry bag 1/2 way and squeeze dollops of the remaining whipped cream around the border of the cooled pie. Sprinkle coconut chips on top of the whipped cream border. Make a pot of coffee, cut the pie into your desired portion size, and sit down and enjoy!

Well Dressed Cupcakes Key Lime Pie
Ingredients
Graham Cracker Crumbs or Dark Chocolate Cookie Crumbs
3 Tbs. Sugar
3 Tbs of Melted Butter
1 Large Container of Cool Whip
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
Nellie and Joes Key West Lime Juice

Crust
Combine 1 1/2 cups of crumbs with 3 Tbs of sugar and 3 Tbs of melted butter
Press into pie dish and bake at 350 until crust starts to brown a bit.
Filling
In a large bowl, combine cool whip, sweetened condensed milk and fill the empty can of sweetened condensed milk halfway with the lime juice. As you blend this together you will see stiff peaks forming. Fold into pie dish and place in freezer. Serve with decorative fresh lime wedges and enjoy every last bite.

Another idea is to fill individual baking cups, either foil lined or Wilton has some great baking cups with a frilled edge. These are perfect for parties - no slicing. Decorate each with a twist of lime and shave some finely grated lime rind on each.

1 comment:

  1. OMG. I think I gained a few pounds just reading those yummy ingredients! I will definitely try out the Key Lime recipe and let you know what I think. Here in Sacramento we have such hot summers it will be a perfect warm weather dessert. I found you on the blog hop over at curious wisdom. Check out my blog if you get a chance, I'd love a new friend. Leslie from Gwen Moss Blog.

    ReplyDelete