Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Rainy Day + Bananas + A Two Year Old = Banana Bread

Staying inside with a two year old all day is not good. We needed something to keep us busy as the rain had no intention of stopping. Four overripe, sad looking bananas caught my attention and it was a perfect day to bake. With a two year old? Why Not? Our butcher block table with the arm chair would be perfect. After setting up two heavy bowls, I took out the ingredients one at a time and had Sean bring them over to the table. (except for the eggs) I had pulled a Williams Sonoma Essentials of Baking CookBook for the Banana Bread Recipe. It was easy and I had all the ingredients, well, almost all of them.
We started the process by mashing 3 bananas which was a success! He really got into it. I could see this might get messy so we put on an apron.
In the 2nd bowl, Sean added 1 1/2 cups of regular flour, 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour, 1/2 tsp of baking soda, 2 tsp of baking powder,1/4 tsp of salt & 1/4 tsp of nutmeg. I added 1/4 tsp of cinnamon in place of orange zest which I did not have. Out came a big spoon and we stirred all the ingresients together. Next 1/2 cup of milk. I had no milk so we used water & it worked out fine. Added the bananas and then 2 eggs. We mixed everyting together. The directions said "Do Not Overmix" I kept thinking how tough this bread would be with all the stirring but it was perfect!
I know I'm bragging but Sean was amazing! He's only two but follows directions like a pro. Even held onto the bowl while mixing! He's also my grandson. Baked in a loaf pan at 350 for about 25 min. Make your life easy and line with parchment paper. The bread came out light & moist with a very nice flavor of bananas. I left out the nuts but 1/2 cup would taste great. Sean loved his banana bread. His comment? "I do'ed it!"
He ate an entire piece while I did the cleanup. My new assistant. Time for a nap!

1 comment:

  1. Man all of these look so delicious, the oreo one especially. I'm a new blog follower from Take It From Me blog hop, feel free to follow me back at http://iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete