Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Leftover Buttermilk? Make Cupcakes

I really don't like to throw things away. I can't even remember why I had buttermilk but there was a week left on the expiration date.   An unexpected order for 7 dozen cupcakes.  This customer lets me do the choices of flavors so I decided to find a vanilla buttermilk cupcake recipe.

Not having a lot of time to look, I decided to try a Martha Stewart Recipe.  The recipe was easy and the result was a moist, flavorful cupcake that still tasted fresh 3 days later.  I will say the batter seemed a bit thin to me which made me nervous but no worries, they were delicious.
I will try a few other recipes in the future just to compare but this is one I definitely will use again.
Give this recipe a try.  You will love it.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 350.
Sift dry ingredients in one bowl
Add the rest of the ingredients  and blend on low speed till combined and smooth. (About 3 minutes)
Fill liners about 2/3 full and bake for about 27 minutes, rotating pans halfway thru.
Frost with you favorite 
I did half vanilla and half chocolate.  I have recipes for both.   I sprinkled cocoa powder on a few, red sugar, and crushed Oreos on some.  Try the mini Oreos, they're perfect!

Let me know what you think!





No comments:

Post a Comment