Saturday, May 28, 2016

In Honor of Nick On Memorial Day

In honor of Nick 

2016  Repost In Memory of Nick on Memorial Day
Nick:
You and your family are in my thoughts


I wrote this post on my blog in memory of a young man I knew. I'm reposting it again and will do so every year on this day.  It has now been 4 years and I pray for his family.


This post today will have absolutely nothing to do with cupcakes or recipes. It is not about political views. It's about a life. A wonderful life of a 23 year that ended way too soon. I first met Nick as a 6th grader & as his counselor followed him through 8th grade. He was one of those kids that years later stands out in your mind. Not a mean bone in his body, just a typical, likeable, middle school kid who could sometimes drive his teachers crazy. A smile, a personality - he had it all.  Moving on to the high school, he became an athlete and he often came back to the middle school around junior year to work at the school & to see his coach each week. I can still see him talking to that coach each day in the hallway outside my office when they had duty. Still a great kid with all those same qualities but so much more grown up.   He would always come in to talk and say hi, or wave through the window... the same old Nick. I just loved that kid.
I retired from school & didn't know he had enlisted. On a Saturday I picked up the paper and read about this young man who I have known since he was 11 years old.  He was killed in Afghanistan on Wednesday, August 10, 2011. Coming from a helping profession, where I was always trying to "fix" things is frustrating as there is no fixing this. But I feel I need to do something so if you're reading this, say a prayer or think a thankful thought for this young man who gave his life for his country. Thank you Nick.<

1 comment:

  1. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete