Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Really Not a Cake Decorator but....

Almost a week? I said I would post a picture of the birthday cake last week. It's Wednesday. Sorry. I had a lot of St. Pat's Day orders so finally I am getting a chance to post this picture.
The theme of the party was "Construction Trucks" I made my life easy and when I ordered the pan, also bought the correct food coloring including black. I realized I could have made this but this was so much easier. The recipe for the cake I used was a bit dry and I should have realized this when I looked at the recipe. The best vanilla cakes have buttermilk or sour cream in them. This did not. It was very plain (I actually like plain!) I used the Magnolia Vanilla Cake Recipe. It's easy, ingredients are readily available and great for cutting.
But I am recommending this recipe from Martha Stewart. It's a bit more work but worth the result. To go back to cake decorating - not sure if this is my thing. One person in my house asked me as I was decorating the cake, "Did you dirty ice it?" I couldn't believe it! Here is a person who NEVER bakes anything asking this question. Too many Cake Boss Shows! But I did not & I should have. I was just in a huge hurry. Here's a great link on "Dirty Icing" a cake. It was fun and worth it as it was for a special little boy's 1st birthday. I think it came out ok but I noticed things that others did not. I think I'll stick with cupcakes! Unless it's for my special boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment